The Savannah Invitational, introduced last year by the Savannah Sports Council, returns to the Savannah Civic Center on Nov. 21-25. The event features six NCAA Division I women’s basketball programs, including Savannah State, and four men’s teams.
Here’s a look at the Richmond Spiders women’s squad:
Conference: Atlantic 10
Head coach: Michael Shafer (13th season, 215-193). Shafer was a UGA assistant coach in 1996-2003 and associate head coach in 2003-05.
2016-17 record: 13-17 (7-9 A-10, ninth)
Key players: Micaela Parson (sr.), Kylie Murphree (sr.), Kailyn Fee (fr.), Alex Parson (fr.), Dee Hatcher (so.)
• Have begun the season 2-0, both on the road at Fairfield and at Columbia, respectively.
• Averaging 78.5 points per game so far, up from 57.0 a year ago.
• Two freshmen (Fee, Alex Parson) are averaging double-figures.
• Nine players are averaging 10+ minutes per game – part of “Embrace the Pace” mantra.
• A pair of sisters, Micaela (17.5 ppg) and Alex Parson (12.0) each average double-figures.
Nov. 21 — 2 p.m., Stetson vs. Wright State; 4:30 p.m., Florida vs. Richmond; 7 p.m., Providence vs. Savannah State
Nov. 22 — 2 p.m., Richmond vs. SSU; 4:30 p.m., Wright State vs. Providence; 7 p.m., Florida vs. Stetson
Nov. 23 — 2 p.m., Richmond vs. Wright State; 4:30 p.m., Providence vs. Stetson; 7 p.m., SSU vs. Florida
Nov. 24 — 5 p.m., Loyola Chicago vs. UNC-Wilmington; 7:30 p.m., Valparaiso vs. Kent State
Nov. 25 — 5 p.m., Loyola vs. Kent State; 7:30 p.m., Valpo vs. UNCW
All tickets on a per-day basis. Group, college and military discounts available. Information: www.savannahinvitational.com, 912-651-6550 and #savhoops